Tuesday 3 October 2017

Oktoberfest 2017

It's Oktober! Bring on the celebrating!
Hello fellow beer drinkers, it’s a special month for us, October is around the time when Germany have their massive annual beer celebrations for Oktoberfest, just because we aren’t in Germany it doesn’t mean we can’t enjoy the same kind of fun.

This month I will be hunting around my city, looking for places that are celebrating Oktoberfest while also on the lookout for some amazing German beers.




Last year I posted a blog about when Oktoberfest actually is (it starts in September), but I didn’t explain how it came about.


There is something I love about this event... the beer! 
Oktoberfest’s roots actually came from a royal wedding in Munich on October 12th 1810, between Crown Prince Ludwig and Princess Therese.

Citizens were invited to attend to celebrate the event which was so popular it was decided to be held again the following year but as a horse race and agricultural event.

Look at all those jugs... of beer!

The celebrating continued over the years where beer stalls begun to pop up, by 1896 the beer stands became tents and the beer culture took over to become what it is now, more than a hundred years later.

Forward to today and I was heading to Saint John’s for my (at the moment) weekly visit, they had advertised a German platter on their Facebook page on Thursday, by Tuesday though it was gone, another blow was learning that they also had several German beers on tap, all gone by the time I visited though, a chance missed.

Wish I could have tried this...

Saint John's Oktober feast

Let's go!
At Grindelwald on October 28th, Grindelfest will be held again, this time it will be a more family orientated event but still promises an Oktoberfest style, I’ll try and get there.



















I’ll keep searching for things to eat and drink around Launceston, I might even bring the boot out of storage and show you how to drink!

Prost (cheers),

Dave


History found at: http://www.muenchen.de/int/en/events/oktoberfest/history.html

Pictures are from Google and Saint John Craft Beer's Facebook Page

What the German's like to eat

1 comment: