Sunday 11 December 2016

Xmas Advent Calendars 2016 Dec 6 – 10

Welcome back to Dave’s Beers of the World where we only talk about beer, maybe cider sometimes.

We’re back into the second part of this years Advent Calendar challenge.

In case you haven’t read the other two I’ve purchased two very different craft beer advent calendars, I will tell you as much as I can about them and fill you in on the goodies they contain. Will one of them stand out better than the other? We will have to get to December 24 to find out.

Warning, spoilers ahead.

December 6

December 6

Bridge Road Golden Ale
Bridge Road have their name all over the carton so it should come as no surprise that most of the beers are from their brewery. This is based on the original first recipe that Bridge Road used back in 2005 when they were brewing out of a ‘shed’. Made with locally grown hops it has a very nice character.

Modus Operandi IPA
For can #2 in the adventure this one was a big 500ml container of liquid joy. Modus are a well-known Australian craft beer brewer, based in NSW. The Sonic Prayer IPA is made with ‘mind-altering’ amounts of new world hops and has a very nice fruity feel, with hints of passionfruit, citrus and peach.

December 7

December 7

Big Shed Kol Schisel German Pale Ale
This beer really threw me, I wasn’t expecting anything like this, the German themed beer has bread and malt flavours that make it taste like a very classy Victorian tap beer. Only at 4.2% it isn’t as strong but was a pleasure to sample.

Brewdog Five AM Red Ale
A UK alternative craft beer, this one is made with five different malts and had a peculiar taste, not a bad one, just different, it gave me a bit of a jolt.

December 8

December 8
Bridge Road Enigma New World Pilsner
The Australian grown hop Enigma is where this beer gets its name, this is a new style beer with a traditional European pilsner feel has a nice flavour and bite to it, I hope to get more of these one day.

Pirate Life Pale Ale
A South Australian brew, this was a nice beer wrapped in a plain can, Pirate Life have produced many great beers over the time.

December 9

December 9
Feral Hop Hog
I’ve had this one a few times, a Western Australia beer packed with American hops. It is a good quality beer with a slight fruity taste.

Iron House London Honey Porter
I’m a big fan of Iron House brewery (Tasmania) as you well know, I had no idea they made this until I unwrapped it from the Saint John carton. Honey beers are odd in my opinion, I’ve tried quite a few and they are an acquired taste. A porter is a dark style beer originally from London from well-hopped beers made from brown malt. A honey addition to this makes it probably the most intriguing beer so far, I didn’t not like drinking it but I’m not sure if I would buy it in bulk in the future.

December 10

December 10
Bridge Road Bling India Pale Ale
Another fun brew by the flagship brewer for the advent calendar. This one is known for the large amount of hops added, rating nine out of ten on their hop scale. Very much an IPA, this is a very good one.

Trappistes Rochefort
This one caught me by surprise once I unwrapped it. A Belgian beer with a 10% alcohol rating has added a new depth to this adventure. Being a strong beer it was potent and a bit difficult to drink, needless to say, once I was finished after having this beer second I definitely felt buzzed. For that strength I would imagine that this once will cost a bit but it was a fun ride.

I have really enjoyed every beer between the two cartons so far, a lot of variety and different styles. Christmas is getting closer, have you decided what beer you will be drinking when the big man in the red suit comes?

Cheers,


Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment