Sunday 1 March 2015

Pistonhead Kustom Lager

Until I purchased this strange looking beer I knew very little about Sweden and even less about any brews that come from there. This isn’t because I’m not interested but because I have never seen anything Sweden related on sale anywhere and nobody seems to talk about the place. For this weeks’ post I wanted to get out of Australia and sample something that doesn’t seem to be well known. While shopping for a different brew I realised that I should visit places other than BWS when I choose the beer of the week for discussion. What appealed to me though about Pistonhead Kustom Lager was a complete lack of knowledge of this product and its ‘racy’ packaging.

The brand is owned by Spendrups Bryggeri (which I have no idea how to pronounce) since its creation in 2011. But for a beer that’s still only young it has already captivated beer drinkers across the world. Many commenting that it is an easy drinking beer, and even a session drinking beer. Of course with everything there is someone who isn’t happy, negative comments about a watery taste and not much flavour make me wonder if they got the proper product http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/4087/73876/. It isn’t as hoppy as an Australian craft beer and not as familiar as a local tap beer but I enjoyed the six pack that I bought for only $15.

"Custom brewed with a double-clutch of munchener malt and pilsner malt injected with spalter select, magnum and perle hops. Pistonhead is an easy drinking craft lager, crisp and dry, it pours a bright gold and is the ultimate balance of flavour and bitterness." https://www.danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_787115/pistonhead-kustom-lager-cans


An interest in visiting and reporting on the world has now peaked my curiosity from research into Sweden which has pointed out that Sweden was the first country in the world with freedom of the press in 1766 and is currently at the top of global press freedom rankings (www.studyinsweden.se). Even though Swedish is the primary language of Sweden, English is known and practiced by a majority of the population. A quick visit to the beer companies’ website will show that they have a good grasp of English and want to appeal to foreigners apart from the fact that they spell their beer as Kustom Lager (www.brutalbrewing.se).



Thank you to Sweden for bringing us a piece of their beer culture.


Cheers


No comments:

Post a Comment