Sunday 11 January 2015

James Boag's Premium

My father once told me when I came of drinking age to “Support your local”, and with that gave me my first beer (later to his dismay as his carton was soon gone). I can gladly say I was introduced to drinking beer through James Boag’s.

            The locals that read this have likely heard this many times before but I am hoping that others will read this too.

Since 1881, the James Boag’s Brewery located on the banks of the Esk River in Launceston has been using the finest of Tasmania’s water, hops and barley to create magical brews. Found in every alcohol selling establishment on this island (hopefully) and some places across Bass Strait, Boag’s beer is one you should definitely drink. Owned by Lion since November 2007 (formerly Lion Nathan Ltd, until 2011). This topic could have me going on for a lot longer than a blog can handle, from Boag’s being the beer of the North of Tasmania while Cascade in the South continues to compete, or about the beers that Boag’s have made that are sadly no longer with us to Boag’s being an Australian beer and compete with the likes of VB and XXXX.  

What I will talk about today is the first beer I ever had.

James Boag's Premium
Boag’s Premium is the pride of the James Boag’s brewery, a European style pilsner. The Boag’s website describes the Premium as: “Honoured with the 2007 Crystal Prestige Award for 10 consecutive gold medals at le Monde Selection in Brussels, James Boag’s Premium Lager combines the finest natural ingredients with peerless brewing expertise, to create a beer that is classic, subtle, perfectly balanced and universally admired. http://www.boags.com.au/beers/premium The award winning beer has many more accomplishments to add to its pool room as listed on the website.

My opinion: This was the first beer I ever drank and I must have liked it since I still drink beer to this day. I continue to buy it in addition to my other favourites and was proud to see it as the beer for the 2014 Melbourne Cup Carnival at Flemington. Price wise it costs more than regular draught beer but it is worth it every time if you are looking for quality and flavour.

Tasmania and its beer
I owe a lot to this beer and company. In particular when I was in Japan (yes, you will hear this come up a lot during my posts), I was introduced to an Australian bar called TK6 in a neighbouring city called Sapporo. To my surprise they stocked Boag’s Premium but since nobody drank it the stock was passed its use by date. That didn’t stop me though and it still tasted fine. Whenever I felt homesick I simply needed to go to TK6 and they knew right away what I wanted to drink. Future orders never got close to their expiry again while I was there.

Drinking Boag’s Premium has connotations of class and sophistication. These traits aren’t required to drink it of course. It is good for special occasions, parties, race days, or even on the deck, taking in the spasmodic and often frustrating Tasmanian weather. According to the Boag’s website it goes well with seafood and Tasmanian cheeses. I agree that it goes well with food but if you know me then you wouldn’t ever see me eat a fish but rather have a Boag’s Premium open next to a giant steak.

Recently it has been sold in another way, Lion (new owners of the James Boag’s Brewery) have developed a keg system which anyone can buy and store in their fridge. Called Tap King, it is a revolutionary design in beer dispensing technology where you can buy from a selection of different beers and have them tapped and stored in your fridge, ready for whenever the urge to have a beer strikes. Two refills cost the same as a carton of Boag’s Premium would (2 x 3.2 Litres as opposed to 24 x 375ml) but it is a novelty I would love to buy if I can ever make enough room in the fridge. 
Tap King

Have you tried Boag’s Premium? Share your experience by commenting on this post. Or if there is another beer that you want me to talk about please let me know as well.

"Who is James Boag?"
GREATNESS RARELY COMES EASY

No comments:

Post a Comment