Thursday 18 April 2019

New Zealand Beer Speights


In spirit of this being ANZAC Day week I decided to focus on beer in New Zealand.

I have had a lot of trouble finding NZ beers over here, I find the occasional craft beer in my hunting, but I am curious as to what is popular over there.






Fortunately, a family member went over on holiday and I asked him to investigate.



What he came up with is Speights Gold Medal Lager.

This cheeky beer was entered into the Melbourne Exhibition in 1880 and won two gold medals, hence its name.

The flagship beer of Speights isn’t sweet so that the malt and the hops can come forward a lot more.

At 4% it isn’t as strong as I’m used to but from what I’ve heard it is a very good beer.

Beer was introduced to New Zealand by those drunken Europeans who travelled around quite a bit back in the day. Captain Cook was the first to brew beer there.

The first commercial brewery was opened in 1835 so they haven’t been brewing beer for as long as many other nations, but they seem to be on a good thing.

I once heard from someone who visited there that they like to drink warm beer? I need to confirm this.

I will endeavour to find more New Zealand brews to share with you.

Cheers,

Dave
Hobbits live here

No comments:

Post a Comment