Monday 3 December 2018

VB Gold



Well VB has reared its ugly head here again to show its younger brother, VB Gold.

Apparently, people are still drinking this product, so I thought I should share my thoughts with you.




Don’t get me wrong, VB is an iconic Australian beer that has been high in sales for a long time, it’s just not one of my favourites, but when I visit Melbourne, I do have one or two to be part of that ‘when in rome’ type.
VB Gold first up is a mid-strength, right now you would be thinking… wait… isn’t that a bit too close to XXXX Gold… you would be right.
How does VB Gold stack up to XXXX Gold?
XXXX Gold:
Alc %: 3.5
Standard Drinks: 1
Cost: $17.49 (6-pack at Dan Murphy’s)
Tastes like: An acceptable mid strength beer

VB Gold:
Alc %: 3
Standard Drinks: .9
Cost: $16.99 (6-pack at Dan Murphy’s)
Tastes like: VB
The criticism of VB Gold is that CUB dropped the alcohol content without informing its customers (going from 3.5% to 3%) this has enraged the few left that still drink it. Lower alcohol means less tax to pay by the brewery, CUB have done this before with VB and I bet they regretted that decision, after years of backlash they returned to the old recipe.
The choice is yours, if you want to drink a mid-strength then XXXX Gold is at the top of the list for Australian beers, but if you like the taste of VB then go ahead and have a VB Gold.
Cheers,
Dave
(This post is done tongue in cheek, VB is one of those beers that does have a strong following of lovers and not so lovers, it is a beer that is the butt of many jokes and I’m happy to continue that tradition in the interest of healthy beer banter.)



No comments:

Post a Comment