Friday 22 May 2015

Chang

When you hear Chang do you first think of this guy? 














Or this beer?








When I think of Thailand I think about Bangkok and the childhood jokes associated with the name, lady boys and of course the Hangover Two movie.

But this no laughing matter, Thailand is a real place of 66 million people that is popular with tourists and is serious about its beer.
I'm pretty sure they are all women?

A reason why I’m writing about Thai beer this week is because my brother is currently over there and he doesn’t know much about beer.

The Chang Beer official website describes the beer as:

“Chang is a truly exceptional Thai beer, created to compliment the unique culture, heritage and cuisine of Thailand. Within only four years, Chang beer became the number one selling Thai beer brand in its home country.

Today, Chang Beer is recognized for its unique quality all over the world.”



Chang is easy to find in Australia, it is often lost amongst the other international beers in the bottleshop but I have never seen it for sale in a drinking establishment yet.

I bought one to try for myself, it was definitely a different beer taste and as the website suggests I think it would go well with spicy Thai food.

Chang beer has an aroma of floral, citrus, hopps and butterscotch to name a few, its full bodied flavour has hints of malt, citrus, butterscotch and toffee. The well balanced lager is made to a world class standard.
I probably don’t say this enough but the water used for beer plays a big part in the quality of the beer, hence why Boag’s is the best beer ever because of the pure Tasmanian water. The water for Chang beer is sourced from Deep well-water which is also bottled and sold as mineral water in Thailand.

So much beer so little time.


You are probably wondering like I did why there are two elephants on the label of Chang beer. The answer is Chang means elephant, it was chosen because of its superior strength and mental capacity. The history of Thailand is steeped with elephants who were used in combat and for royal ceremonies. Chang Beer has two elephants to symbolise happiness, harmony and prosperity.

I suggest* that once in your life that you visit Thailand (I haven’t yet) and involve yourself in the culture with one, two or three Chang’s.
Good advice!
*Depending on what my brother thinks upon his return.

Cheers,

- Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment