Friday 20 May 2016

Crown Lager

Feel like royalty and drink Crown Lager
For when the time calls to drink like royalty.

A commonly seen beer in Australia, the history surrounding Crown Lager seems to no longer be a talking point, surprisingly since it was originally only brewed for royalty.




According to online sources, the brewers (Carlton & United Breweries), promote the history that the original product formerly known as Foster’s Crown Lager was made from 1919 to only be available to visiting dignitaries that visited Australia.

I'm sure the royals knocked back a few of these!
When Queen Elizabeth II visited Australia in 1954, the brewery marked the occasion by releasing Crown Lager. This version of history seems to be up for debate due to confusion whether the public had access to it or not prior to 1954.



Fifty years later, ‘Crownies’ as they are now nicknamed can be bought by anyone (over 18 years old), almost anywhere in the land down under.

A very distinctive, easy to spot beer, it glows gold!

Crown Lager is one of the first beers I ever tried, something about it felt special, even though at the time I didn’t know the history of this product.

Crownies bring me back to my university days – not so long ago! 
Where my Japanese lecturer would talk about beer, he would joke about how he loved crownies. As a gift after each semester I would give him a six-pack to thank him – he was an amazing teacher and put up with us for four years after all. I saw him shortly after graduating and he finally admitted to me that he had in fact always preferred Cascade Premium Light, we would still joke about crownies though every time I saw him.

Crownies sponsor events such as the Allan Border Medal. 

Over the years in hospitality I have heard many comments that the quality of Crownies has changed, they don’t seem to be as popular anymore.

While living in Japan I could visit my favourite bar – TK6 – and there would always be cold crownies for sale to remind me of home.

This beer has been there for me and it is one I think that still deserves recognition.

Brendan Fevola enjoying some Crownies at the 2009 Brownlow Medal night.
Go on, feel like royalty and smash a carton of crownies!

Cheers,


Dave








No comments:

Post a Comment